Folklore in Jamal Al Ghaitani’s Novels: Al Zaini Barakat as Case Study
Keywords:Folklore, Jamal Al Ghaitani, Al Zaini Barakat, sophism, historical novel
AbstractThe present research addresses Jamal Al Ghaitani’s life and thought in exploring the relation between the novelist and his narrative. It also addresses the historical novel in general and the association between the novel and the history in Al Zaini Barakat. Evidence is quoted from a book entitled “Bada’e Al Zohour Fi Waqa’e Al Dohour” by Ibn Elyas, followed by reviewing the characters of the novel determining the novel structure and forms and formula used for expression. The present researcher also tried to show the Sofi aspects and religious frame represented by documented sayings. I also talked about women and their role in the novel.
- Jamal Al Ghaitani, Al-Tajaliyat book, part 3, Dar Al Mustakbal, Beirut, 1986.
- Ghaitani, Al Zaini Barakat, the novel –Dar Al-Shorouq (Beirut-Cairo) 1st edition (1409 Hijri-1989AD).
- Georg Lukacs, the historical novel, translated by Salih Jawad Al-Kazem,Cultural affairs press, Baghdad, 1986AD.
- - Hassan Fawzi, an Egyptian Sinbad, Dar Al-Maaref in Egypt, 2nd Edition.
- Saeed Yaqteen, the narrative speech analysis, the Arab Cultural Center, Beirut, 2nd edition, 1993.
- Saeed Yaqteen, novel and narrative heritage, the Arab Cultural Center, 1992.
- Shaker Abdel-Hamid, the psychological foundations of literary creativity, the Egyptian General Book Authority 1992.
- Abdul Rahman Yaghi, search for a new rhythm in the Arabic novel, Dar Al-Farabi, Beirut 1999.
- Abdul Razak Eid, Critical Studies in the novel and the story, Ministry of Culture and National Guidance, Damascus, 1980.
- Abdul Salam Alkkla, noveltime, Madbouly library, 1992.
- Abdullah, Ibrahim,Arab narration ,Dar Al Shorouq,Amman,2nd edition,2000
- Faisal Darraj, implications of novels relationship, Ibal Institution, Cybrus, 1992.
- Mohamed Badawi, the modern novel in Egypt, the Egyptian General Book Authority1993.
- Nabil Suleiman, Arabic novel –drawings and readings- Center of Arab Civilization, Cairo 1999
- - Maumoon Abdul Qadir Smadi, Jamal Ghaitani and Heritage: A Study in his works, master thesis, Ibrahim Sa’afeen, Yarmouk University, 1991.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).